Severe Weather Update: Monday, January 16, 2023
Click HERE for an update concerning the severe weather threat Wednesday through Wednesday night.
WHAT: MARGINAL RISK to SLIGHT RISK of Severe Weather
WHEN: Highest threat will be Wednesday Night.
WHERE: Highest threat will be northwest of a Donaldsonville to Tylertown line including portions of metro Baton Rouge.
CONFIDENCE: We are confident that there will be thunderstorms across the area and that a few will be strong to marginally severe. We have less confidence in exactly where those strong/severe storms will occur.
The main threats associated with any severe storms will be:
- Wind gusts greater than 60 mph will be possible.
- Trees and powerlines could be damaged and lead to isolated/scattered power outages.
- A few tornadoes will be possible.
- In addition to the severe weather threat, rainfall of 1 to 2 inches is forecast with locally higher amounts possible.
- This rainfall could lead to ponding of water in low lying areas and areas of poor drainage.
The graphic above in the hyperlink highlights the threats associated with this system.