Heat Advisory Today / Excessive Heat Watch This Weekend - Friday 8/20/2021
Click HERE and HERE for an overview on the oppressive heat expected today and potential for excessive heat this upcoming weekend.
Changes since previous update:
- A Heat Advisory is in effect for portions of southeastern Louisiana and all of southern and southeastern Mississippi from 9AM through 7PM today.
- An Excessive Heat Watch is in effect for portions of southeastern Louisiana and coastal Mississippi Saturday morning through Saturday evening, and again Sunday morning through Sunday evening.
- HEAT ADVISORY for forecast heat index values up to 112ºF.
- EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH for forecast heat index values up to 115ºF possible.
- For the HEAT ADVISORY: From 9AM this morning through 7PM this evening.
- For the EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH: Saturday morning through Saturday evening, and again Sunday morning through Sunday evening.
- For the HEAT ADVISORY: Portions of southeastern Louisiana and all of southern and southeastern Mississippi.
- For the EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH: Portions of southeastern Louisiana and coastal Mississippi.
- We have moderate to high confidence that heat index readings will reach between 108 to 112ºF during the late morning to afternoon hours today.
- Moderate to high confidence that the heat will persist into the upcoming weekend.
- Extreme heat and humidity will significantly increase the potential for heat related illnesses, particularly for those working or participating in outdoor activities.
- It is stressed for the public to take precautions if spending time outside today through this weekend. Take breaks indoors in air conditioning or in the shade, drink plenty of water, and ensure pets have adequate water and proper shade.
Additional Information and Resources:
NWS New Orleans Website: www.weather.gov/neworleans
NWS New Orleans DSS Website: http://www.weather.gov/lix/embrief
NWS New Orleans Facebook: www.facebook.com/NWSNewOrleans
NWS New Orleans Twitter: https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans
Next Update and Contact Information:
Next update will be this afternoon or earlier if there are any significant changes.
If you have any questions in the interim or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us. We can be reached by phone at 504-522-7330 or 985-649-0429. Use extension 4 to speak with a forecaster. Alternatively, you can reach us by email by replying to this message or sending an email to email@example.com. Both methods will be delivered to the forecasters on shift at the office.
LIX New Orleans/Baton Rouge, LA
National Weather Service
62300 Airport Road
Slidell, LA 70460