The Atlantic Hurricane Season runs from June 1st through November 30th. During that time, you must watch for storm alerts and be ready to follow your emergency plan before and after the hurricane. Use this hurricane prep checklist to know just what to do.
Before the Storm
- Review evacuation routes.
- Download the Waze app to avoid road closures and hazards when traveling.
- Identify a safe household meetup location.
- Let friends and family know where you're headed.
- Put your important documents in a waterproof bag.
- Create an emergency supply kit and put your documents inside.
- Prepare your home by boarding up windows and removing loose items.
- Check on your friends and neighbors to see if they need help preparing.
- Sign up for the Tangi Alert system and help others do so.
After the Hurricane
- Stay off all public roads for at least 24 hours after the hurricane.
- Never drive through flooded areas. Even a few inches of water is dangerous.
- Take many photos of all the damage to your home, outbuildings, and vehicles.
- Properly dispose of all construction materials, vegetative debris, and household waste.
- Check on your neighbors after caring for your home and family.