The primary purpose of the Tangipahoa Parish Permit Office is the protection of life, health and safety for the residents of Tangipahoa Parish through the building permit process. This procedure includes permitting and inspecting projects, enforcing applicable building codes and standards, and educating customers on best practices when constructing buildings. As such, we are committed to the highest ethical and professional standards and take great pleasure in helping our customers achieve success.
Recognizing the public’s trust bestowed upon the employees of this office, we are engaged in the enforcement of building codes and regulations set forth by the Louisiana State Uniform Construction Code Council (LSUCCC). Additionally, the Permit Office advocates a commitment to professional behavior while providing customers with prompt and courteous service for information pertaining to building/electrical permits, inspections and Flood Plain Management.
CLICK HERE concerning the implementation of the 2015 Building Codes and the 2014 NEC effective February 1st, 2018.
CLICK HERE to see the amendments adopted by the Louisiana State Uniform Construction Code Council (LSUCCC).
Building Permits are required through this office before any structure is built in the Parish of Tangipahoa. All subcontractors (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing) are required to obtain permits on new construction in Tangipahoa Parish.
All contractors and subcontractors are required to be registered with the Tangipahoa Parish Permit Office.
Building Permit Process:
- Obtain an address for the property. Call the 911 office - (985) 747-0911
- Bring in a survey or deed of your property and your building plans to the Permit Office.
- A flood determination of your property must be done by our office.
- A plan review must be done by our office.
- An application must be submitted along with survey or deed (legal description) to the Environmental Health Department in order to obtain sewer approval.
- Amite Office - (985) 748-2024
- Hammond Office - (985) 543-4175
- If your location is on the Tangipahoa Parish Sewer District, contact (985) 542-8877.
- Once you have been notified that your sewer approval is ready to be picked up from Environmental Health, you can go to the Permit Office for a permit. Please bring the following:
- Building Plans (if not previously submitted)
- Completed building application
- Sewer approval
- Notarized homeowner affidavit (if acting as homeowner contractor)
- Survey or deed (if not previously submitted)
- DEQ Storm water permit (if you are building in a subdivision) Please see LDEQ FAQs for General Construction permit information.
- Building permit fee (We accept Cash, Check, Visa, Master Card, and Discover).
Sub Contractor Permit Process:
No subcontractor permits will be issued until the Building permit has been issued.
- Make sure your subcontractor is registered with Tangipahoa Parish Permit Office (unless acting as a homeowner subcontractor).
- Complete subcontractor permit application and pay permit fee. See attached fee schedule.